Better World Club

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Amtrak Denies BWC a Member Discount Because It Can't "Publicly Oppose AAA"

Did AAA Use Its Influence to Intimidate Amtrak?

How's this for an unhealthy relationship: AAA -- an organization that has consistently lobbied against mass transit for the past 50+ years -- is granted a 10% Amtrak discount for its members. Better World Club -- an organization that has consistently lobbied on behalf of mass transit in general (and Amtrak in particular) -- is denied an Amtrak discount.

When advised by Amtrak that we would not receive an Amtrak discount equivalent to the one AAA members receive, an Amtrak representative actually stated that Amtrak couldn't "publicly oppose AAA" by offering a discount to BWC members. Is offering our members a discount "opposing" AAA? If Amtrak did offer BWC members a discount, would Amtrak executives have to start parking only in brightly lit parking lots?

Since Amtrak receives A LOT of public funding (we've even lobbied on their behalf here and here), we've approached lawmakers and asked them to look into the legality of Amtrak's preferential treatment of AAA.

What's next? How far is Amtrak going to take this self-loathing behavior? Will Amtrak employees stop taking the train to work in the mornings and all start driving alone? We want to help Amtrak break this cycle of self-defeating behavior. Readers, please comment on this article and let us know what you think is the best way to proceed.

67 Comments:

• Does Amtrak have a public comment line? An ombudsperson? You should figure out who members should contact, and publicize it -- and then see if you can drum up a bunch of nastygrams!

By Blogger dgossett, At November 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM

• I just traveled to D.C. from Durham, NC via Amtrak. I'm furious at this outlandish situation. You need to start a grassroots campaign to expose this ignorance and force policy makers to correct this foolishness.

By Blogger Unknown, At November 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM

• BWC is in a great position to start a letter-writing campaign. Tell us who to contact and we will.

By Blogger Gabriel, At November 25, 2009 at 11:14 AM

• Perhaps it's time for another 'What's the doughboy afraid of?' campaign. You guys are clever - come up with a word that describes AAA to replace 'doughboy'.

By Blogger Unknown, At November 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM

• That is really disturbing. I will think of ways to raise awareness. It helps that you blogged about it so it gives the Internet activists among us something to share.

As I look for a new home in an affordable area that won't require a car commute, I feel the cumulative impact of these little corruptions constantly.

By Anonymous Rekha, At November 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM

• I am always thrilled when I can make a journey on Amtrak, and I am hopeful that rider Joe Biden and his boss, along with my Democratic elected officials from California, will provide regenerated support for Amtrak's maintenance and development. A highly-improved national rail system will strengthen America from the inside.

I would welcome knowing the appropriate contact person/s in Amtrak (and elsewhere) to support the company to make much more intelligent use of its business sense. Denying BTW members like me who actively advocate for good rail both through BTW and also as individuals participating in the government process the ten percent benefit they provide AAA must make sense only to appease anti-rail private-industry corporate special interests. If so, is this strategy paying off?

Gimme some names and numbers!

Barry Bussewitz
    Petaluma, California

By Blogger Barry Bussewitz, At November 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM

• If this could get into other media, it seems that would be good. Any hope in contacting someone from NPR to get a story on Morning Ed. or All Things Considered? There are lots of folks who sympathize with BWC's goals among NPR listeners, and this really does seem like an odd situation that merits public attention.

By Blogger Testing, At November 25, 2009 at 11:28 AM

• I belong to NARP and will write them a letter.
    This should go into their newsletter along with contact info. Who should we be writing?

By Blogger marion, At November 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM

• Why is this legal? Amtrak is a public corporation.

By Blogger Unknown, At November 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM

• Sounds like Amtrak, a quasi-public agency, is responding to AAA's attacks, by rewarding its members with discounts. Surely this is a long run counter-productive policy. It would behoove Amtrack to encourage ridership that supports public transit, rather than fight it via AAA lobyists. Next time I ride Amtrack this will be a great conversation starter, most AAA members are probably as unaware of this counter productive policy as well as AAA's opposition to Amtrack.

By Blogger Andrew Rasmussen, At November 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM

• I've just linked to this on my Facebook page...I hope lots of my friends will pass it on.

By Blogger TrudyS, At November 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM

• That's really troublesome, but maybe not all that surprising. While I do think public transportation is the way of the future, I'm not sure Amtrak is. My husband took Amtrak from San Jose to Seattle last year and it took FOREVER. They probably averaged 25 miles/hour.

Regardless, thanks for letting us know.

By Blogger Town Mouse, At November 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Regardless, thanks for letting us know.

By Blogger Town Mouse, At November 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

• What a disappointment. I think Amtrak is making a big mistake. But I also think that BWC played a part in this decision when we went "negative" and started turning the organization into a bully pulpit for anti-AAA rhetoric. I agree with the BWC position, and that's why I joined, for its pro-active benefits, not to fight AAA. Let's be better, not meaner. "Nastygrams" won't help. This is how wars get started. Instead, let's try to re-build a relationship with Amtrak, if it's not too late.

By Anonymous Iris, At November 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

• Please start a viral email campaign, flooding Amtrak with messages of protest. This is outrageous.

Paul

By Blogger paul, At November 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM

• FROM BETTER WORLD CLUB

Hey everyone,

We'll try to get hold of everyone who wrote, but we the comments section doesn't capture email addresses so it's a bit complicated.

We are planning what we should do next: most likely announcing a campaign of some sort (and thanks to Mary who references Ben & Jerry's "doughboy" campaign. We've been considering the same thing.)

So, watch for the upcoming issue of Driving Change. We should have a Call to Action there.

(And Iris, I hope we don't turn ourselves into a "bully pulpit for anti-AAA rhetoric". We try to keep it light. Hope we're generally succeeding.)

Thanks again for all of your comments,

Mitch Rofsky
    Better World Club

By Anonymous Mitch Rofsky, At November 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM

• Amtrak's website has a "Contact Us" link, which I just used to send my comment on this issue. Simply click on the link, select the appropriate category for your comment (I chose something like "Specials/Promotions"), and fire away!
    I explained how using public transportation benefits everyone, and instead of revoking the AAA discount, which would only discourage use of Amtrak, they should offer an equal discount for BWC members.

By Blogger Mia, At November 26, 2009 at 10:26 AM

• You definitely should get in touch with Michael Dukakis. He is passionate about public transportation and serves (served?) on Amtrak's board.

His reputation is that of uncommon integrity. I beleive he would be offended by what happened and could be a source of valuable guidance. You would be hard pressed to find a more powerful ally.

Pat Murray

By Anonymous Patricia Murray, At November 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM

• Mia and Patricia: Great ideas. Will do.

Mitch: Campaign is a good idea. I'm not sure if I get the newsletter you mention. I do get one of them, though, so please be sure to include information on all your newsletters.

By Anonymous Rekha, At November 28, 2009 at 7:01 AM

• Americans invented the great railroads, made their mistakes along the way, killing off transportation which came before and in turn getting killed off by the car. We could have done it differently, but truly there are just too many people here who want to drive where they want when they want...and not enough rail lines, for various reasons, and not enough bargains and services on them. Here we are, where lobbyists can discourage rail improvements and then take a Triple A discount and complain about the bad service! It's always about money: who has it, who wants it, who controls it. I joined Better World Club as soon as I knew my AAA membership helped fight against high-speed rail in Ohio; now tell me what else I can do!! - Karen Stoner

By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM

• I was recently made aware of Amtrak's denial of discounted fares to BWC members when I scheduled a train trip in November. I was, in fact, shocked. Because I am a (happy) convert from AAA, I used to enjoy that discount in the past. The whole idea of denying BWC members the same discount is ludicrous, for all of the above comments everyone has contributed. Usually when I approach a motel or hotel that only shows discounts to AAA members with my proposal for a BWC discount, they immediately accommodate me with the same discount. It doesn't seem to be a conflict in their eyes. I would definitely write letters or emails to Amtrak about this issue as soon as you can figure out the best target for public opinion.

By Blogger Maria, At December 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM

• I am about to book a long (NY-Florida) trip on Amtrak and noticed the AAA discount available. It is absolutely LUDICROUS that Amtrak will not recognize the Better World Club with the same discount. If they truly believe in sustainable travel, they would make these arrangements with every travel club out there.

By Blogger Unknown, At December 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM

• Where are we at with this? Perhaps a Facebook group we could be a fan of? I bet we could easily get thousands of signatures on a petition...

By Anonymous Hugh, At December 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

• Here's the Amtrak (non)response to my complaint on this matter:

Dear Ms. Murthy:

Thank you for your email and concern about this issue.

Amtrak offers a multitude of regular fare discounts, specials, as well as seasonal and special offers for a wide variety of passengers. Amtrak has offered certain discounts to some organizations as a result of overall strategy and marketing efforts. Of course, Amtrak cannot offer discounts to every organization and group, but our marketing and sales departments strive to offer competitive fares along with special incentives where best identified.

I have logged your complaint and comments for review by appropriate managers. Please know we care about your patronage, and I am sorry you feel our fares and incentives do not meet your needs.

Again, thank you for your email and concern.

Sincerely,

Mark Anderson
    Customer Relations Specialist
    Amtrak Office of Customer Relations
    60 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
    Washington, DC 20002

By Blogger Unknown, At December 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM

• Get the McAfee antivirus using the link www.mcafee.com/activate. You need to download, install, and activate the subscription using onscreen directions at mcafee.com/activate.
    mcafee.com/activate
    mcafee.com/activate
    www.mcafee.com/activate
    mcafee.com/activate

By Blogger Dean Foster, At March 30, 2021 at 4:30 AM

• This antivirus software is designed solely to identify malicious fines and documents and eliminate them before they can harm your device. www.norton.com/setup scans your computer on a regular basis to ensure that dormant virus near your computer can harm the operations. Follow the step-by-step procedure to download, install and activate the software for availing its subscription.
    norton.com/setup
    norton.com/setup
    norton.com/setup
    norton.com/setup

By Blogger Dean Foster, At March 30, 2021 at 4:30 AM

• Hey! I was just exploring and came across your site. The articles and blogs were quite interesting to read. I am from technological field. If someone is interested to read about Antivirus software, then do visit my site mcafee.com/activate or www.mcafee.com/activate

By Blogger officecomsetup, At April 1, 2021 at 9:56 PM

• Webroot.com/safe provides the best security software that is necessary for your system life. It ensures full protection for small and medium businesses as well as for personal consumers around the world. Go to www.Webroot.com/safe, download Webroot, and proceed with installation steps as listed below.
    You Can Visit the official Website:
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe

By Blogger Marco Foster, At April 1, 2021 at 11:02 PM

mcafee.com/activate
    mcafee.com/activate
    www.mcafee.com/activate

By Blogger Marco Foster, At April 1, 2021 at 11:03 PM

• Much thanks to you for sharing this data. You can easily download your desired Office product by visiting the official website Microsoft Office. Just Download and install the MS Office setup. Submit the activation key at office.com/setup to activate MS Office.
    Visit Our Site:-

By Blogger grace parry, At April 6, 2021 at 4:21 AM

• It inspires me to believe that I can sew and make. I really can create stylish clothes. I am still improving myself. I hope this will allow me to connect with others who enjoy creating too.
    Visit Our Site:- https://sites.google.com/a/web4root.com/webrootkeycodeactivation/

By Blogger Isaiah davis, At April 6, 2021 at 4:31 AM

• Hey! I read this as my perspective is good, hope to appreciate by everyone. also here is I share some knowledge for new information how to install youtube activate code so you can go through here and read this my Blogs.

amazon.com/mytv

amazon.com/mytv

amazon.com/mytv

By Blogger Harrison Carter, At April 7, 2021 at 10:35 AM

• It is a great source that you are giving, and you offer it away for free. I like seeing a blog that knows the value of providing a quality resource for free.

By Blogger grace parry, At April 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM

Visit Our Site:-https://sites.google.com/a/a1office.co.uk/officecomsetupactivate/

By Blogger Isaiah davis, At April 7, 2021 at 12:40 PM

mcafee.com/activate or
    bitdefender login

By Blogger officecomsetup, At April 20, 2021 at 1:48 AM

• Hey here is Lora I read your Post as much as it's very helpful for me so I share it with my friends and social media as everyone gets knowledge here is my Blog when you want to purchase a product for software antivirus so here you may go and read this:

extender.linksys.com

mcafee.com/activate

Webroot Login

McAfee Login

By Blogger lora2908, At April 22, 2021 at 4:29 AM

• If your subscription plan includes the desktop version of the Office apps you won't see an option to install it unless someone in your organization assigned a license to you.

office.com/setup home & student 2019
    office setup home and student 2019

By Blogger office.com/setup home & student 2019, At May 9, 2021 at 12:44 AM

• Your DNA narrates the entire story of your fitness, health, and nutrition. All you need to do is to go for the ancestry dna test and activate through ancestrydna.com/activate.
    Visit To more Info:
    Ancestrydna.com/activate
    Ancestrydna.com/activate

By Blogger Marc Mandela, At May 11, 2021 at 6:04 AM

• By Blogger Marc Mandela, At May 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM

• By Blogger Marc Mandela, At May 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM

• By Blogger Marc Mandela, At May 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM

• By Anonymous onlyfans premium, At May 13, 2021 at 10:06 PM

• Hey I'm Boden I Read your blog I found on google like that so I got your post thank you for sharing impressive information's Just, I shared with us my software security you can go and buy here also read this blog is the benefit for you.
    mcafee.com/activate

extender.linksys.com

By Blogger lora2908, At May 14, 2021 at 12:03 AM

mcafee.com/activate or
    bitdefender login
    norton.com/setup
    office.com/setup

By Blogger officecomsetup, At May 14, 2021 at 5:07 AM

• This is Sofia Moore , and the author has done a brilliant job with this piece. The writing style speaks volumes about the talent and the way the writer has managed to explain everything in concise and within the boundaries of the context; it is simply amazing. I am a writer myself, and though I am from an IT background, I write on general topics.

Roku.com/link
    TV.Youtube.com/activate
    YouTube.com/activate

By Blogger sofiamoore247, At May 15, 2021 at 2:43 AM

• Install Office.com/setup Home Student 2019 on your Windows or Mac with a Home and Student 2019 subscription. It is for those students and families who require specific classic Microsoft Office apps to create an ultimate work result. It 2019 includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint that is licensed for home use. Here you’ll learn how to activate and use Office Home and Student 2019.

office.com/setup home & student 2019
    office.com/setup home and student 2019
    office.com/setup home student 2019

By Blogger Victor Lablanc, At May 15, 2021 at 4:35 AM

• Nice blog,article have knowledgeable,informative,keep Sharing such a nice blog and good looking site.www.amazon.com/mytv is only a guide for users to understand the process to Download, Install and Activate Amazon MyTV, You can subscribe to Amazon Prime TV using the link amazon.com/mytv.

By Blogger Amazon.com mytv, At May 16, 2021 at 11:57 PM

• office.com/setup is the collection of software used by almost every kind of individuals including companies, students & professionals. The first version of Microsoft office was introduced with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Microsoft Word was developed to create documents.

office.com/setup home & business 2019
    office setup home & business 2019

By Blogger Nathaniel Wiles, At May 17, 2021 at 3:47 AM

• Hi Guys! I’m John Taylor from Chicago, USA. I’m a software engineer by profession. I received my Ancestry DNA kit just a few days ago. I’m delighted that I signed up for it. It provides many amazing insights into the life of my ancestors. Thank you, Ancestry DNA, it’s worth every penny.
    ancestrydna.com/activate
    ancestrydna.com/activate
    ancestrydna.com/activate
    ancestrydna.com/activate
    ancestry login
    ancestry login

By Blogger David root, At May 18, 2021 at 12:03 AM

• amazon.com/mytv | www.amazon.com/mytv

Through www.amazon.com/mytv - how you can connect your mobile phone to Amazon Prime. Through www.amazon.com/mytv, you can watch your favorite TV shows, series movies. You can watch prime videos anywhere on your device. Users need to create an Amazon account if they don’t have an Amazon account and enter the Amazon my TV activation code to watch Amazon prime videos on your device.

By Blogger Amazon my tv, At May 18, 2021 at 12:38 PM

• amazon.com/mytv | www.amazon.com/mytv

By Blogger Amazon my tv, At May 18, 2021 at 12:38 PM

• see if the Prime Video app is available on your Smart TV. Once you select it, it will request your Amazon Account login. In other words, you need to sign up for a Prime account via the Amazon website - once you establish your Amazon Prime Account, you can use your Amazon user login to log into the Prime video app on your Smart TV.at amazon.com/mytv and
    www.amazon.com/mytv

By Blogger Panth0101, At May 18, 2021 at 11:29 PM

• dhfjfksdhfjkskf
    Funny Shirt quotes

By Blogger captino1253985, At May 22, 2021 at 8:15 PM

• Hello, I am Nora , kudos to the author! I liked the second paragraph, the start, and the conclusion. The article is a unique blend of information and creativity, so if you were looking for something like this, you should bookmark this article. I can say this confidently because I am an avid reader, and over the course of the preceding few months, I have also written few bits myself. You can check them out right here:

tv.youtube.com/start
    tv.youtube.com/start
    Amazon.com/mytv

By Blogger noradiaz741, At May 29, 2021 at 6:08 AM

• This is Lia Walker , and the author has done a brilliant job with this piece. The writing style speaks volumes about the talent and the way the writer has managed to explain everything in concise and within the boundaries of the context; it is simply amazing. I am a writer myself, and though I am from an IT background, I write on general topics. If you find time, kindly use this hyperlink to visit my site:

Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link

By Blogger liawalker299, At June 3, 2021 at 9:47 PM

• Hey, here is boden I read your article and I very appreciate your information here is my blog when you required any branding your organization or website designing SEO promotion, and many technology updations so you can go and read this is very helpful your organization so more please contact me. and you visit here.

SEO for Small Business

By Blogger lora2908, At June 8, 2021 at 2:53 AM

• Hey, here is Boden your article and I very appreciate the information I shared with my circle and social media here is my blog when you required any branding your organization or software requirement and many technology updations so you can go and read this is very helpful your organization so more please contact me. and you visit here.

Avast Login
    Belkin Setup

By Blogger lora2908, At June 17, 2021 at 6:20 AM

• McAfee.com/activate – It is a Multi-national American global computer security software company providing threat intelligence network, endpoint protection and security information services.Get world-class protection on your system by downloading, installing, and activating McAfee. Do so by visiting mcafee.com/activate. mcafee.com/activate | Mcafee Support

By Blogger mcafee.com/activate, At June 18, 2021 at 12:48 AM

• Priya Chaudhary Label is online designer clothing store to buy Kurti/Kurta, tops, shirts, dresses, pants, palazzos, dupattas, pajama, kaftans & mask for Women .

By Blogger Priya Chaudhary, At June 23, 2021 at 3:20 AM

• By Blogger Run Errand Run, At June 23, 2021 at 3:40 AM

• looking for solutions? you can wait for a few minutes or hours and then log back in and you will be able to log in if there was a temporary connectivity issue.
    Hulu Activate |
    www.hulu.com/activate |

By Blogger Eva, At June 23, 2021 at 5:33 AM

• PayPal is one of the largest and leading online payment processors. Using the Paypal Login account, one can transfer the funds quickly and efficiently to others.
    Paypal Login |
    Paypal Login |

By Blogger Eva, At June 26, 2021 at 1:10 AM

• Hp is a well-known global manufacturer of highly advanced and feature-rich hardware and software products. Its ‘Imaging and Printing Group’ is famous for offering the best imaging and printing systems all across the world. In addition to that, it caters to various customer segments. It manufactures products for individuals to small, medium, and large organizations. Moreover, it offers the best-in-class printing supplies, scanning devices, and printer hardware. The brand is famous for reinventing the ways that ideas come. Its feature-rich printers have made printing more convenient, efficient, and reliable. Hence, these printers allow you to explore the ways you can express yourself after setting up the printer via 123.hp.com/setup. In addition to that, the usage of HP printers is straightforward. Along with this, you can set up the printer in an easy and hassle-free manner. Therefore, if you want to set up your HP printer, make sure you visit the official printer setup page via 123.hp.com/setup.

123.hp.com/setup

By Blogger maahikuar, At June 29, 2021 at 2:18 AM

canon.com/ijsetup
    ij.start.cannon

By Blogger maahikuar, At June 29, 2021 at 2:21 AM

• Amazon has become the largest online retailer and prominent cloud services provider in the world. The central vision or purpose behind establishing Amazon was to build the world’s most customer-centric company and provide users with a platform where they could buy anything. Initially, it was established as a bookseller but, due to its will to give value to the world, it expanded to sell a wide range of consumer goods and digital media. Along with this, it also started manufacturing its own high-tech electronic devices, including Kindle Fire tablet, Fire TV, Kindle e-book reader, a streaming media adapter, and many others. Moreover, all the users have to register their Amazon devices via Amazon.com/code using the steps we have given below.

Amazon.com/code

By Blogger Nancywilson, At July 1, 2021 at 5:33 AM

• Visit McAfee Activate official website Mcafee.com/activate | or mcafee ​activate in any browser. · Enter your 25 digits McAfee Activation Product Key.

Mcafee Login |
    McAfee Activate |
    Mcafee Product Key |

By Blogger Norton.com/Setup, At July 14, 2021 at 1:28 AM

• Hey guys! Howdy, you connect technology solutions with the latest gadgets, www.123hpcomsetuphp.com offers, help strategies identified with HP Printers. if you need You can go through one of my recently published content on HP printers get many information and fulfill your technical problems so visit here:-

Hp Printer Setup