Better World Club

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

BWC Fights Global Warming...er...Weirding

A Look at Some of our Recent Carbon Offset Donations

Whether you believe in global warming or not, you have to admit: if the weather isn't getting warmer, it's sure getting weirder. From record highs in Los Angeles to snow in Dallas last winter, all of us need to be paying attention -- and doing what we can.

As all good Better World Club members know, Better World Club donates 1% of revenue to environmental cleanup and advocacy. Better World Club was the first travel company to offer carbon offsets -- and provides free carbon offsets to our auto insurance clients for their first 2,000 miles of driving. Better World Club also offsets it's own greenhouse gas emissions.

This year, BWC is buying 2,000 tons of greenhouse gas reduction for the Sexton Energy Des Plaines Landfill Methane Recovery and Destruction Project. Methane destruction at farms and landfills is a classic and effective carbon offset project.

The Sexton Energy Des Plaines Landfill Methane Recovery and Destruction Project captures and destroys fugitive methane and other greenhouse gases from a closed former waste handling and disposal (solid waste management) site. Located in northern Illinois near the city of Des Plaines, the Project includes gas collection and power generation systems built by the project proponent, Sexton Energy, LLC, to recover and burn the former waste disposal site’s landfill gases, which otherwise would be emitted into the atmosphere and contribute to global warming.

The Project’s emission reduction goals are to decrease greenhouse gases resulting from:

1) The capture of the landfill gas from the former waste handling and disposal site, which otherwise would be released into the atmosphere; and,
2) The destruction of the recovered landfill methane in two generators that produce in total about 2,500 kW of electricity per year, which is sold to the local utility, Commonwealth Edison (Com Ed).

Better World Club has also purchased another 750 tons of greenhouse gas offsets from Climate Clean, a carbon offset provider in Portland, Oregon.

Better World Club's purchase of 5.5 million pounds of offsets make it one of the larger US buyers. Thanks for helping us do more to do our part.

Bookmark with:

Delicious |  Digg |  reddit |  Facebook |  StumbleUpon

23 Comments:

• You might want to note in the article that, although Sexton Energy is burning methane and thus producing CO2, they are probably reducing the greenhouse influence, since CH4 has a significantly larger greenhouse effect than CO2.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM

• Thank you for the interesting post! I suppose we can't close our eyes on this problem. We have to take care about our planet. One student wrote a very interesting essay on global warming If I find it, I will share with you with the link.

By Blogger Baldric Underwood, At March 23, 2017 at 8:26 AM

• We always strive to place the customer at the centre of everything we do and customer service is our highest priority. Our team has built a reputation for professionalism and reliability. We love the Ryde, North Shore beaches and National Parks and want to ensure we are doing everything we can for them remain clean for generations to come

By Anonymous Ryde, At November 29, 2017 at 5:05 AM

• You create sense out of the foremost complex topics.
    site

By Blogger Unknown, At November 30, 2017 at 3:40 AM

• Atlanta rent dumpster has been wonderful! They knew as in the morning to tell me what time they could be out that evening. Then called when they have been 10-20 or so minutes apart; these people were on time, really professional and hot and friendly dumpster in close proximity to me. These were accomplished quickly and i was thrilled because of the help.

By Anonymous Louis, At September 21, 2019 at 5:04 AM

• The weather has become so weird nowadays, like literally! Last night, I was so frustrated because of my dissertation that I got dissertation writing help and I decided to go out to for hiking. Trust me, I not only regretted the decision but also I ended up being nauseous because of the weather!

By Blogger Henryjones, At April 7, 2021 at 5:24 AM

• OZPAPERHELP.com is the best DISSERTATION topics help from the activity energize Assignment help Master for the UK. Your assessment suggestion is a basic bit of the Research Degree application measure, and in this manner, it justifies contributing time and energy to ensure that your recommendation is strong, clear and powerful. The DISSERTATION is a significant initial move towards composing your last exposition on an instructed or examination. aces course, or a PhD level course. Your DISSERTATION should be novel and it makes way for your examination and should help you make a reasonable arrangement for your last undertaking. Peruse more about arranging your exposition here.
    DISSERTATION Thesis recommendations resemble the list of chapters for your examination, and will assist you with clarifying what it is you mean to inspect, and generally, how you expect to approach gathering and breaking down your information. You won't be needed to have everything arranged out precisely, as your subject may change marginally throughout your examination, yet generally composing your DISSERTATION should help you better recognize the heading for your exposition.

By Blogger OZPAPERHELP, At May 8, 2021 at 2:56 AM

• Leather Bomber Jackets for Men
    instylejackets provede best fashion and celebrity leather jacket quality to all of the customers with the best leather jacket quality. provide not only jackets coats, vest and all the custom designs. visit to our website and get your jacket.

By Blogger Psydoc - Dr Jason Hart, At May 8, 2021 at 5:47 AM

• We need to get rid of this global warming situation because it is really damaging our natural environment. Additionally, to read about the texas trust loans mortgage plans then you must review this now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 3, 2021 at 8:26 AM

• I really want to read more your posts. They are so useful that I can use them to solve issues.
    I hope you will upload articles frequently. I like them very much. They are pieces of advice for me.

Try to check my webpage :: 부산달리기
    (jk)

By Blogger bamgosoo, At July 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM

• Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it,
    you’re a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog
    and may come back down the road. I want to encourage you continue your great work,
    have a nice afternoon!

My web site; 휴게텔

(freaky)

By Blogger opbest, At August 7, 2021 at 8:27 PM

• Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also.
    고스톱

By Anonymous GOSTOPSITE33, At December 20, 2021 at 11:41 PM

• Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!
    스포츠토토

By Anonymous TOTOSITEWEB33, At December 20, 2021 at 11:46 PM

성인웹툰

By Anonymous GUIDE1903, At December 20, 2021 at 11:47 PM

• I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge.
    토토사이트

By Anonymous TOTOSAFEDB33, At December 20, 2021 at 11:47 PM

• Your search to marketing essay writers has come to an end with our academic writing company essay writing websites. Feel free to contact us at your convenience.

By Anonymous essay writing websites, At January 19, 2022 at 4:31 AM

• Are you looking forward for buying something cool? You should visit our website then where we've got a huge categories of fashionable and trendy jackets such as Gaming character's jackets, Biker jackets, Leather jackets and much more. If you want to buy, simply click on the link.
    kakashi jacket

By Blogger Sarah Josave , At January 29, 2022 at 1:19 AM

• Excellent content ,Thanks for sharing this ., It's pretty nice and very helpful contents in this article.
    Leanpitch provides online training in ICP ACC, everyone can use it wisely.

Agile coach certification
    ICP ACC certification

By Blogger sri, At February 28, 2022 at 2:40 AM

• Excellent content ,Thanks for sharing this .,
    Agile coach certification online
    Certified Agile coach

By Blogger sri, At February 28, 2022 at 3:06 AM

• SENSOTOP is an innovative and dynamic company based in France, formed and led by experienced experts from the Oil and Gas Industry to provide our customers automatic tank dewatering services.

By Blogger Michelle, At March 19, 2022 at 12:51 AM

• Smart Kitchens from Smart Renovation (Superior Living Group) is one of the most prominent kitchen sinks dubaiand fit out project management companies in the United Arab Emirates.

By Blogger usmN, At March 19, 2022 at 7:43 AM

• A perfume range in perfect harmony with its surroundings, through cruelty free and sustainable manufacturing processes using only vegan and ethically-sourced ingredients, flowers, select oils and painstaking craftsmanship alone to deliver three unique styles.
    Nastya Perfumes

By Blogger erry, At March 26, 2022 at 3:34 AM

• Your desire, excitement, and aspiration are heard, go 1 dollar deposit casino Canada . Try your luck and share your emotions. Don't forget who risks wins.

By Blogger Jacob123aaa, At September 12, 2022 at 8:50 AM